Here’s a segment from our documentary Nefarious: Merchant of Souls, featuring our friend Don Brewster. Watch the full length film at http://www.nefariousdocumentary.com.
As you reflect on these 31 verses, ask God to give you insight into how the truths apply to victims, perpetrators, law enforcement personnel, lawmakers, and people in our communities.
31 Verses to Pray Against Human Trafficking
- The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed.
~ Luke 4:18 (Focus on churches, individual believers, & non-profit organizations)
- For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.
~ Psalm 9:18 (Focus on victims, families, at risk youth, those in leadership)
- And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free. ~ John 8:32 (Focus on victims, perpetrators, and community leaders)
- If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
~ 2 Chronicles 7:14 (Focus on individual believers, churches, perpetrators, leaders, governments)
- May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the children of the needy, and crush the oppressor!
~ Psalm 72:4 (Focus on vulnerable people, at risk children, perpetrators, government, law enforcement)
- What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it?
~ Luke 15:4 (Focus on victims, non-profit organizations, churches, individual believers, law enforcement)
- First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, ~ 1 Timothy 2:1-3 (Focus on government, law enforcement, community leaders)
- Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. ~ Romans 13:1 (Focus on perpetrators, government, law enforcement)
- Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.” ~ Psalm 82:3-4 (Focus on orphans, people in poverty, perpetrators, lawmakers)
- It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31:8 ~ (Focus on victims, at risk children & youth, non-profit organizations)
- Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water… Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” ~ John 4:10, 13-14 (Focus on victims, at risk youth, fragile families, perpetrators)
- But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~ Romans 6:22-23 (Focus on perpetrators, victims)
- There is no gloom or deep darkness where evildoers may hide themselves.
~ Job 34:22 (Focus on perpetrators, law enforcement, lawmakers, government)
- Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” ~ Romans 12:19 (Focus on victims, law enforcement, government)
- O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me. ~ Psalm 25:2 (Focus on victims)
- Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.
~ Psalm 57:1 (Focus on victims, vulnerable children, at risk families)
- O Lord, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked exult?
~ Psalm 94:3 (Focus on victims, perpetrators, lawmakers, government)
- See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.
~ 1 John 3:1-2 (Focus on churches, individual believers, victims)
- Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.
~ James 1:13-15 (Focus on perpetrators)
- For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” ~ Romans 9:17 (Focus on individual believers, churches, non-profit organizations)
- He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.
~ Revelation 21:4 (Focus on victims, vulnerable children, fragile families, non-profit organizations)
- Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.” ~ John 8:10-11 (Focus on victims, churches, individual believers)
- “Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?
~ Isaiah 58:6-7 (Focus on individual believers, churches, victims, vulnerable people)
- My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence. ~ 2 Samuel 22:3 (Focus on victims, vulnerable people, at risk youth)
- For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
~ Romans 8:14-15 (Focus on victims, perpetrators)
- So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
~ Genesis 1:27 (Focus on victims, vulnerable children, at risk families)
- But from there you will seek the LORD your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul. ~ Deuteronomy 4:29 (Focus on victims, perpetrators, vulnerable people)
- Then Isaiah is so bold as to say, “I have been found by those who did not seek me; I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.”
~ Romans 10:20 (Focus on victims, perpetrators)
- And the King will answer them, “Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.” ~ Matthew 25:40 (Focus on individual believers, churches, victims)
- “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”
~ John 8:7b (Focus on government, lawmakers, law enforcement, churches, victims)
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
~ Romans 12:21 (Focus on perpetrators, non-profit organizations, lawmakers, law enforcement)